Please find below a take on the Alpha Xi Delta (Purdue) cheese ball that we all know and love from every Founder's day and Easter event (not to mention any other Alumni party)! I'll be the first to say that cheese balls aren't the healthiest of appetizers, however they make beautiful coffee table pieces for your guests to enjoy before whatever dining activities you plan or during any of your holiday cocktail parties. My favorite part about them is the fact that they're super easy, and you can make them in advance! Enjoy!
Virginia Ham & Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces ground or finely chopped country ham
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3 pinches dry mustard powder
- 8 ounces unsalted Virginia peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 maraschino cherry half
- Assorted crackers, for serving
In a large bowl, combine ground ham, cream cheese, hot sauce and mustard until well blended. Roll into a ball and then roll in chopped peanuts. Garnish with cherry on top of ball. Serve on cheeseboard with crackers.