I meant to include this other recipe I saw on the Fabulous Beekman Boys last night (on Planet Green). I greatly enjoy their farm antics and they're just hilarious! Last night they had a recap episode of their first season, and holiday special. Below is a recipe they highlighted of a fruit cake, that is literally soaked in booze... I'm actually intrigued and kind of want to try it! It look fairly easy too!
|1 ¼ cups||chopped dried Calimyrna figs||(about 6 oz)|
|4 ½ cups||chopped dried fruits, best quality, organic / local wherever possible. Here’s what we like:||½ cup dates 1 cup candied pineapple |
1 cup dried apricots
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup dark raisins
1 cup golden raisins
|½ cup||light rum|
|1 ½ cups||unsalted butter, room temperature||(3 sticks)|
|1 ½ cups||white sugar|
|1 cup||packed brown sugar|
|1 tbsp||pure vanilla extract|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
|3 cups||all purpose flour|
|1 ½ cups||pecans, toasted|
The day before
- Chop the dried fruits in good-sized pieces.
- Combine dried figs, mixed fruits, golden raisins, and rum in large bowl.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter baking pans or forms.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until light.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in flour in 4 additions.
- Stir in pecans, dried fruit mixture and any soaking liquid from bowl.
- Divide batter among prepared pans. Place pans on baking sheet and place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.
- Wrap in plastic or aluminum foil.
- Let stand at least 1 day and up to 3 days at room temperature.
- Wrap in cheesecloth, and if you wish, baste with liqueur of your choice.
- Store several weeks at room temperature or months in a refrigerator
- Serve at room temperature
- If the cake becomes dry, use a pastry brush to brush the outside of the cake with brandy
To see Josh put this recipe all together, click here