As I said in last night's blog, I ran a ton of errands yesterday in preparation of Sno-pocalypse 2/1/11, including going to the grocery store. I made a simple chili in the crockpot for tonight in the hopes of creating a healthier version of the Skyline 5-way (yummers!). Recipe below:
- 1 lb ground beef, browned (I had to substitute my standard ground turkey b/c the store was out :( )
- 1 small onion, chopped (I like to use sweet onions)
- 1 (4 1/2 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 - 2 tbsp chili powder to taste (I like to use chipotle chili powder)
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp worchceshire sauce
- 1/4 tbsp basil
Basically you mix it all up and cook in the crockpot from 8-10 hours. Another reason I love crockpots: you can just LEAVE them! And just about everything that comes out of them is DELICIOUS!
Additionally, I've been thinking about what I plan to do if and when I get snowed in.
- Read (my new books per my "Me and Barnes&Noble" post
- Catch up on my DVR: I have some amazing Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello movies, Gossip Girl, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and others!
- Clean... I've been putting this off FOREVER! I tend to stick to topical treatments and not deep cleaning...
- Organize my clothes, and sort out donations
That seems like a good list of ideas... or I may just curl up and sleep :)
What do you plan to do during this 2011 Blizzard??
PS I have to say I am very disappointed that Purdue has already called off snow for the day without receiving any snow yet. This is the 3rd time in almost 35 years that the school has closed classes.The last time was my senior year, and they didn't cancel classes until I had gotten there... Regardless, STAY SAFE EVERYONE, and don't drive anywhere you don't have to!